Monday, September 27, 2010

BLOOD.

Donating Blood. A simple act, yet can save lives.
I recently tried to donate blood at my local Red cross on my birthday and took my parents with me. Instead of a successful donation, I was denied and slapped with a 24 hour suspension. : / My hemoglobin was too low. (Aka, IRON) Which most commonly comes from meat. Anybody else see this or have this problem themselves? Please comment with your stories! Anyway. I ended up being so disappointed that I ended up crying over it. It's so disheartening. I was then helped by every other nurse working that shift that gave me hugs...cookies and juice, and advice about how everyone is disappointed if they can't donate. Now. I can't donate yet because I want to donate at my school's drive. The lady who was helping my mom donate gave me some GREAT advice. I feel like it will work. A week before you plan to donate...eat SHREDDED WHEAT EVERY MORNING. It can be strawberry or whatever kinda frosted wheat you can find. (because it doesn't taste all that yummy without it and you'll be more likely to stick with it) AND A GLASS OF ORANGE JUICE. This helps the iron get absorbed better. (wow bad grammar)
So. To my fellow vegetarians....don't give up!! People need your blood!! And even if you've been put on a lifetime ban...you can still help out by ringing the bell, or thousands of other things for Red Cross!
I've rung the bell a few times and it is great! Just bring a friend and you get to annoy customers with a loud bell until they fork over their change. ;)
HERE you can look at all the things you can do to help!
Even schedule appointments for blood donation!
http://www.redcross.org/
LOVE YOU ALL.
And as always...

Comment? Share the love? Protest the war? Whatever!
I would love some feedback, Positive or Negative. :)

1 comment:

unknown said...

I like this! :) I've wanted to become a veggie-tarian but its hard for me because my whole family is a MEAT MEAT MEAT family and thats almost the only thing they serve at school and blah blah blah. how do you do it and can you help me? :)

(oh and this might link me to my blog btw. xD)